How to shell, devein and butterfly raw prawns ready for cooking.
Link to video (courtesy of bbcgoodfood.com)
1. Twist the head off the body, then peel away the shell and legs in segments until you get to the tail.
2. Take the tip of a sharp knife and make an incision to expose the vein, which will either be down the back or running along the belly of the prawn. Pull to remove.
3. To butterfly the prawn, take the knife and slice as far as you can through the middle without cutting it in half - pull the sides apart and cook as desired.
4. Wash before using.
5. Keep the heads and shells - they're delicious base for home-made fish stocks and sauces (they freeze well too).
* High-quality, fresh UK produce * Free delivery across Sussex (no minimum order) *
* Easy to understand pricing & pack sizes * Sustainable packaging *